REDUCING YOUR RISK OF CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE: EATING FOR BETTER HEALTH – COOKING TO PRESERVE THE HEALTHFUL QUALITIES OF FOOD
All the best intentions and plans for eating healthfully can be defeated in the kitchen unless you change some of the ways you prepare food. The most important change you can make is to learn to cook with little or no oils or other fats. Here are 10 tips to get you started.
1. Look for low-fat recipes in cookbooks or magazines that provide a nutrition analysis for each recipe.
2. Invest in nonstick cookware to be able to “fry” or brown foods in no added fat. If you would normally add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a skillet, you save 120 calories and 14 grams of fat by using a nonstick skillet instead. Or use a 1-second spray of vegetable oil cooking spray, which adds about 1 gram of fat and few calories.
3. Add a few handy kitchen gadgets such as a garlic press, spice grater, lemon zester, egg separator, and vegetable steamer to expand or revamp your cooking habits.
4. Stock fat-free flavor enhancers such as onions, herbs and spices, colorful fresh peppers, fresh garlic, gingerroot, Dijon mustard: fresh lemons and limes, flavored vinegars, sherry or other wines, reduced-sodium soy sauce, bouillon granules, and plain, nonfat yogurt.
5. Saute onions, mushrooms, or celery in a small amount of wine broth, water, soy sauce, or Worcestershire sauce instead of butte oil.
6. Microwave or steam vegetables; then dress them up with flavored vinegars, herbs, spices, or butter flavored powders.
7. Cook fish in parchment paper (available at many supermarkets) or foil packets. This method seals in flavor and juices.
8. Poach fish or skinless poultry in broth, vegetable juice, flavored vinegars, dry wine, herbs, and spices. A covered roasting pan is an inexpensive alternative for a fish poacher.
9. Cut the amount of meat in casseroles and stews by one-third and add more vegetables, rice, pasta.
10. In recipes, substitute low-fat cream cheese, sour cream, or processed cheeses for their higher-fat, counterparts.